Reporting to: Warehouse Manager (Nechells)
Location: FareShare Midlands Birmingham depot, Nechells
Duration: Fixed Term, 12 weeks (starting second week in June 2020)
Operating Hours: 7am to 5pm
Shift Pattern: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: £18,135 per annum, pro rata
FareShare’s Strategy & Vision
Vision: We have the vision where we are ‘Fighting hunger, fighting waste, making a difference’
Mission: To use surplus, fit for consumption, food to feed those who are vulnerable in the UK by supporting front line charitable organisations that tackle the cause and not just the symptoms of food poverty.
- Passion – for our cause and the challenge that lies ahead
- Ambition – to go the extra mile and drive the change that must happen
- Respect – for ourselves, our volunteers, our partners & our beneficiaries
- Collaboration – it’s only by working with others that we can be stronger
- Focus – on delivering the most for our members and volunteers.
Purpose of the role
This role is about so much more than just coordinating the day-to-day operations of a busy FareShare warehouse: it’s about sharing the FareShare mission that “no good food should go to waste”. Your work will make sure that quality surplus food is helping feed people in need.
As a Warehouse Coordinator you will be the face of FareShare, involved in the supervision of a large team of volunteers to ensure our charity members receive their food orders each week. Each shift you will be responsible for ensuring health and safety of the team supporting FareShare, whether they are regular volunteers, supporters from our corporate partners, visitors to the warehouse, or your colleagues. You will also be ensuring your team follows the food safety standards set out in the FareShare operating manual to ensure the safe receipt of food by all our charity members.
In the FareShare Regional Centre warehouse you’ll:
- Get to know your team and respond to questions about FareShare’s mission, the food partners who support us, charities who receive food and the planned activities for the day
- Work as a team with the Warehouse Manager, warehouse colleagues and volunteers to ensure all shifts are well planned, supervised and meet daily operational needs
- Operate the forklift truck to unload and load goods
- Be responsible for the health & safety and security of FareShare West Midlands buildings, vehicles, staff and volunteers, including the delivery of appropriate health & safety briefings
- Carry out & update risk assessments as defined by the FareShare operating manual and complete risk assessments for all new activity as required
- Ensure compliance with all FareShare policies and procedures and industry standards as required by food partners and regulators and that all staff, volunteers, food suppliers, charities and visitors adhere to them
- Ensure that the vans used by FareShare are roadworthy and legal
In the FareShare Regional Centre office you’ll:
- Support the Warehouse Manager in managing the office, responding to emails and taking phone calls
- Support the Warehouse Manager in organising food distribution using the FareShare food management systems and training volunteers as required
- Maintain excellent relations and communications with volunteers, staff, food suppliers and charities
- If required to drive a FareShare van, you’ll:
- Drive safely, responsibly and within the law
- Be courteous to all road users
FareShare is an equal opportunities employer and so at all times you’ll:
- Be courteous and demonstrate FareShare’s equality and diversity policy
- Take responsibility for the safety of volunteers who join you
- Support the Volunteer Manager in ensuring all volunteers have a valuable and rewarding experience whilst supporting FareShare
Like the supply of surplus food to FareShare no two shifts are the same. Every day new food arrives and your team will include new people who want to get involved in the FareShare mission. You will be part of a small staff team responsible for ensuring the safe and effective distribution of food each day.
- Commitment to gain Level 2 Food Safety Qualification
- Commitment to undertake in house training in moving and handling, working at heights, safeguarding vulnerable adults and first aid
- Eligibility to work in UK
- Forklift truck licence
- Have held a full UK / EU / EEA driving licence for three years minimum with no more than 3 penalty points.
- Level 2 Food Safety Qualification
- Emergency First Aid at Work
Experience & Knowledge
- At least six months experience of one or more of the following:
- supervising/managing staff and/or volunteers
- warehousing operation
- food distribution
- Experience of working in a team with evidence of demonstrating a flexible approach to team working
- Experience of working on own initiative, able to manage own workload and prioritise tasks to meet objectives
- Computer literate with experience of working with MS Office and other bespoke software packages
Desirable Experience & Knowledge
- Experience of taking responsibility for health and safety issues within a food distribution and/or warehousing operation
- Experience of working in a highly regulated environment and demonstrable risk assessment capabilities
- Experience of working with people who may have additional support needs
- Experience of driving vans / medium sized vehicles
Skills, Abilities and Attributes
- Personable with a good sense of humour and excellent communication skills
- Able to take initiative and use common sense
- Can stay clam under pressure
- Team player willing to adopt a flexible approach to daily tasks and activities
- Commitment to FareShare’s Equality & Diversity ethos
- Safe and courteous driver
If this sounds like you we can’t wait to hear from you.
Please send in your CV and along with a personal statement explaining why you are a suitable candidate for the role and return to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight, Sunday 31 May 2020.